Thursday, June 02, 2005
I don't understand you still doesn't work on sleazy men in bars no matter what language you speak.

I know that as soon as I post this the post I sweated over yesterday for A* will show up.

In the meantime I'll talk about our first experience hitting the bars in Buenos Aires.

Poor SarahT wasn't feeling so well last night but Becca and I fancied a night on the town. We decided to go to a nearby neighbourhood called Las Canitas to a bar we'd read about in the very recent Time Out Buenos Aires. The taxi dropped us off on a hopping road and we jumped out excited for our evening. We walked up Baez once. Couldn't see Voodoo Lounge. Tried again. We walked up and down the road 3 times, looking like complete dorks, only to realise that the place had disappeared. We decided to go into a lively bar on the opposite side of the road- thankful there were other bars around.

It was the first Wednesday of the month and according to our waitress this was when all the Dutch people come out and celebrate at the Dutch bar we were in. Fancy that. No wonder there were so many tall, blonde people. I enjoyed my 16 peso vodka washed down with water (She said soda back to me, I'm not sure where the translation was lost there) then headed over to Jackie O's, which had been recommended to us.

I opted for the beer this time and the Iguana cervaza went down nicely.

Unfortunately, a skeevy gentleman decided he wanted to be part of our conversation too. Even after much protesting, in English, that we didn't want to speak to him and lots of ignoring and scary looks from the oh-so-goofy bartender (we dubbed Fred) the guy just wanted stop asking us if we like horses. In Spanish.

Oy. Skeevy men are all the same. No matter what language they speak.